Throughout the phlebotomy training course for beginners, you will look at the theory behind phlebotomy and be allowed to develop your practical skill using the most up to date techniques and equipment.
The course covers all of the competencies set out in CHS132 (National Occupational Standard for Phlebotomy). Once completed, you will have all of the skills and knowledge necessary to work as a phlebotomist.
This course is suitable for both medics and non-medics.
- A minimum of 21 years of age
- Good command of English
- Able to learn independently
You are required to complete an online study and eight practical hours onsite.
All courses are kept intimate with six learners in a class.
Areas covered within the course:
- A background to phlebotomy
- Health and safety in phlebotomy
- Infection control
- Informed consent
- Anatomy and physiology of the arm
- Site selection – good and bad veins
- Complications that can arise when taking blood
- Needlestick Injuries; what they are and what to do
- How and where to correctly apply a tourniquet
- What is expected of a phlebotomist
- The importance of correct patient identification and informed consent
Practice Kit included with virtual course