Scalp micropigmentation, otherwise known as SMP, is applying pigment to the epidermal level of the scalp to replicate the natural appearance of hair follicles. Similar to tattooing, the ink used during scalp micropigmentation permanently marks the scalp, giving the look of a full head of hair that has been shaved or adding density to hair that may be thinning.
For many people suffering from hair loss, Alopecia or scarring, this cosmetic treatment offers a life-changing, viable and long-term solution.
As a practitioner, scalp micropigmentation requires in-depth training, specialised equipment and extensive knowledge and skill. The process consists of multiple sessions in which carefully selected pigment is implanted into the scalp using specialised needles.
One of the great things about doing micropigmentation training is that it does not require you to have any medicine or surgery background. You can undertake micropigmentation courses and become proficient in the technique in a short time. This means you can start practising extremely quickly after deciding to join the industry.
This course is suitable for those with no prior experience and is designed to provide the student with the ability to seek employment or start their own business upon qualification.
Course Pre Study
Before beginning practical training, students are required to complete:
- 30 hours of easy to access e-learning
- A series of online assessments
This is a 1 days intensive theory and practical sessions. All courses are kept intimate with a maximum of 4 students per course.
Areas of study:
- The fundamental theory of cosmetic tattooing
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Health and Safety
- Colour Theory
- Client Assessment and Suitability
- Legal requirements, obtaining consent with consultation techniques and documentation
- Clinical setup procedures
- Pre-treatment drawing techniques
- Practical technique sessions on practice materials and model clients.
- Professional live demonstrations
- Industry leading pre and post treatment care for your clients
Practical areas included in depth within the course are:
- Proper hairline design
- Blending techniques
- Sanitation and sterilisation
- Proper station set up
- Skin colour matching analysis
- Needle specification